Skip to content

Master in Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy

What can you do with a master’s in Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy?


With a Master’s degree in Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy, you would have specialized training and knowledge in providing therapeutic interventions to children and adolescents. This degree opens up various career paths within the mental health field, specifically focused on working with young clients.

Here are some potential career options:

  • Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist: With this degree, you can work as a licensed psychotherapist specializing in children and adolescents. You would provide individual, group, and family therapy to address a wide range of mental health concerns such as anxiety, depression, trauma, behavioral issues, and developmental disorders.

  • Play Therapist: Play therapy is a specialized approach used with children to help them express their thoughts, emotions, and experiences through play. With a Master’s degree in Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy, you can become a play therapist, working with young clients using play-based interventions to facilitate emotional healing and growth.

  • School Counselor: Many schools employ counselors who work directly with students to support their social, emotional, and academic well-being. With a Master’s degree in Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy, you can work as a school counselor, providing individual counseling, group therapy, crisis intervention, and guidance services to students.

  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Specialist: In community mental health centers, clinics, or hospitals, you can work as a mental health specialist focusing on children and adolescents. Your role would involve conducting assessments, developing treatment plans, providing therapy, and coordinating care for young clients with various mental health needs.

  • Residential Treatment Counselor: Residential treatment centers or therapeutic boarding schools often employ counselors who work with children and adolescents struggling with significant emotional or behavioral challenges. With your training in Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy, you can work in such settings, providing therapeutic support and interventions to residents.

  • Family Therapist: You can work as a family therapist, specializing in systemic approaches that address the challenges and dynamics within families. In this role, you would work with children, adolescents, and their families to improve communication, resolve conflicts, and strengthen family relationships.

  • Researcher or Academic: A Master’s degree in Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy can also lead to opportunities in research or academia. You can contribute to research projects focusing on child and adolescent mental health, work in research institutions, or pursue teaching positions in universities or colleges.

  • Program Coordinator or Administrator: In organizations or agencies that provide mental health services to children and adolescents, you can take on administrative roles such as program coordinator or administrator. You would oversee the implementation of programs, ensure quality standards, and provide supervision and support to therapists and counselors.

Remember to familiarize yourself with the licensing requirements and regulations in your jurisdiction if you wish to practice independently as a psychotherapist.

Obtaining additional certifications, such as play therapy certification, can further enhance your expertise in specific modalities or approaches.