Skip to content

Master in Child and Adolescent Psychology

What can you do with a master’s in Child and Adolescent Psychology?


A Master’s degree in Child and Adolescent Psychology can equip you with specialized knowledge and skills to work with children and adolescents in various settings.

Here are some potential career paths and opportunities:

  • Child Psychologist: With a Master’s degree, you can work as a child psychologist under the supervision of a licensed psychologist. You would conduct assessments, provide therapy, and offer interventions to children and adolescents with mental health issues, behavioral challenges, or developmental disorders.

  • School Psychologist: Many schools employ school psychologists to support the academic, social, and emotional well-being of students. In this role, you would conduct assessments, provide counseling services, collaborate with teachers and parents, and develop intervention plans to address learning difficulties, behavioral problems, or social adjustment issues.

  • Developmental Specialist: You could work as a developmental specialist, providing early intervention services to infants and young children who may be experiencing developmental delays or disabilities. This might involve conducting assessments, designing and implementing intervention plans, and collaborating with families and other professionals.

  • Research Assistant: With a Master’s degree, you may work as a research assistant in academic institutions or research organizations, contributing to research projects focused on child and adolescent psychology. You could be involved in data collection, literature reviews, data analysis, and the dissemination of research findings.

  • Youth Program Coordinator: In community centers, non-profit organizations, or government agencies, you could work as a youth program coordinator, developing and overseeing programs that promote positive development and well-being in children and adolescents. This could include after-school programs, mentoring initiatives, or youth-focused mental health promotion campaigns.

  • Parent Educator: You could work as a parent educator, providing guidance and support to parents or caregivers on various topics related to child and adolescent development. This might involve leading workshops, facilitating support groups, and offering evidence-based strategies for parenting challenges.

  • Child Welfare Advocate: With a Master’s degree in Child and Adolescent Psychology, you could work as an advocate for child welfare, supporting the rights and well-being of children in various contexts. This may involve working with child protection agencies, foster care organizations, or legal systems to ensure the safety and appropriate treatment of children.

  • Behavioral Consultant: In clinical or community settings, you could work as a behavioral consultant, helping children and adolescents with challenging behaviors. You would conduct functional assessments, develop behavior management plans, and provide training to parents, teachers, and other professionals involved in the child’s life.


It’s important to note that some positions, such as licensed psychologist or independent practice, may require a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or Psy.D.) and additional supervised experience. Additionally, specific career opportunities and job titles may vary depending on the region and local regulations. Therefore, it’s advisable to research the requirements and regulations in your desired area of practice.